Friday, December 14, 2012

Divine Detour


“Lord, why did you let me do that?” I gripped the steering wheel a little tighter and felt my shoulders tense as frustration began to grow in me. It was late at night and I was finally on my way home when I realized I needed to turn back because I’d forgotten something. Instead of making an easy u-turn, I had steered into a tiny side street which provided no room to turn my truck around. I knew this dark road eventually wound its way back to the main thoroughfare, but as I navigated my way through the inky blackness, I began to wonder what God was up to. I just wanted to get home.

Then I saw her—an older woman stumbling through the darkness, nervously squinting into the bright headlights of my truck. The look of distress in her eyes compelled me to stop. When she explained that she’d run out of gas and needed help, I felt a strange mix of compassion and caution. I grew up in a city where car-jackings were commonplace and wondered if I was being set up. Then the Lord spoke to my spirit, This is why I had you turn onto this road. When I agreed to give the woman a ride, she lit up with excitement. “Oh, thank you, thank you!” she exclaimed. “You’re a Christian, aren’t you? I knew you were because I was just praying, ‘Lord please send me some help,’ and there was nobody on this road. And then you came out of nowhere!” A few minutes later, I walked into the gas station with the woman and bought her a gas can and some fuel. When I was sure she had everything she needed to get home, I continued on my way. It was still late, but the tension was gone because once again I had seen God’s hand at work.

This is yet another instance of that same prodding of the Holy Spirit that drives everything we do here at South Mountain Christian Camp. Sometimes we don’t understand what God is up to—especially when things seem to be going wrong. But we know that He causes everything to work together for good (Romans 8:28), and, when we trust Him, He accomplishes miraculous things.

No comments:

Post a Comment